…albeit with a little delay.
I spent the morning or April 21st battling a stubborn weed whacker and a somewhat more feeble and compliant ground cover (results).
In between mowing, letting out more string and adding more fuel, I also managed to deliver (completely by accident, I assure you) onto the fragile ears of the neighbor’s kids curse words like they’ve never heard.
I also was able to ascertain budbreak status of all the vines, dig a few irrigation lines out from under dirt piled on them by (#$@*!^@!!!) gophers and sucker the whole vineyard.
Almost all the vines are flowering. I suspect the stragglers will catch up. The interesting thing is that the Montepulciano flowers are huge, as can be seen in the photo above.
The Aglianico vines are at various stages of shoot growth and I will soon have to shoot thin to start setting the goblet.
It’s more correct to say that I will be making corrections to re-train the vines into goblets, as I had not correctly set them in the first place.
As a whole, the vineyard is coming in and evening out.
Besides, the stalling weed whacker, the heat and the cursing (which was entirely justified, I assure you), I had one other incident worth mentioning:
Working around one of the Montepulciano vines, my foot slipped on the loose soils, the weed whacker snagged some denser growth and then lurched forward beating up the trunk of that Montepulciano vine just above the graft junction. My thinking is that it will likely not cause any serious long-term consequences. Still I hate to see my plants damaged.
Speaking of which… my back-up vines (which I keep in pots behind the garage) have been under attack. Over the past few years, I’ve noticed more grasshoppers in the back yard. In the flower bed, the bushes, the strawberries and now the vines. Jiminy Cricket they’re not, as the pictures above demonstrate.
Nothing a little foliar application of carbaryl won’t remedy…..
‘Till next time.